Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Worries

Something happened today that was so wonderful, I’d go as far to say that it was practically magical. I got an email saying my visa was issued and my passport, with its new, sparkly visa living inside was on its way! Thank you Queen! Couldn’t’ve done it without you. I won’t let you down. (For those of you that don't know, a visa, in this context, is not a credit card, but something I applied for that allows me to live and study in the UK for an extended period of time.)

Getting this visa has, without a doubt, been the peskiest, most worry-causing thing I’ve ever had to do. More so than making the decision to go abroad, more so than actually applying for schools, and, yes, more so than my fifth grade spelling bee (and that was terrifying). Ever since June, I felt this constant pressure on my chest and what I can only describe as horrible little visa elves living in my shoulders and neck and pushing my muscles together all the time. Realistically, there was absolutely no reason for me to be nervous at all, but I was cripplingly, debilitatingly nervous and I’m not really sure why.

I think it might have bothered me so much because, well, firstly, I worry about everything, but also, everyone was already talking about my move as if it was a totally done deal. And it was, essentially, but my mind loves cycling through worst-case scenarios and the nagging thought that my visa could be denied never left the back of my head. Every time I got excited about moving or told friends that I couldn’t wait to see them, the little part of my brain that hates me chimed in with a, “Hey, but what if you can’t actually go and everyone is just super disappointed instead of happy and you’ll never leave home and aaaaahhhh?!” 

I kept feeding this irrational thought that everything on my application had to be flawless. Which it did, in the sense that I had to meet necessary criteria and all of my documents had to be legitimate, but I’m a relatively unthreatening eighteen-year-old with an astounding lack of a criminal record, so I’d like to imagine the United Kingdom Border Agency had very little to be suspicious about. But, as you can guess, that didn’t stop me from panicking about every little detail; whenever I had to sign something, my hand was shaking like it was experiencing its own personal earthquake because I was so worried that if my signature wasn’t perfectly crafted, the UKBA would dub me not good enough and toss my application (and with it, my very heart and soul) into some bin with all the other rejects. “You call that cursive?” they’d scoff.

I’ve always been a perfectionist, but this was a new level of ridiculous, to the point where I almost started crying at the post office because I couldn’t figure out what package to send my application in. That special, pull-yourself-together-why-are-you-even-allowed-to-leave-the-house kind of ridiculous.

But, obviously, it all worked out! I'm happy and proud of my ability to do something as important as this by myself. I'm also proud of the fact that, despite all evidence would suggest, I did not have one single brain aneurysm. Good for me.

Now that that's out of the way, all I have to do is... oh, well, everything else.

Savannah

Countdown: 17 days
Currently listening to: Keaton Henson - Birthdays 
(for the five millionth time)


6 comments:

  1. Gosh, it must be really, really exciting to finally see all your plans come to life—like it's all actually happening!
    P.s. I'm sure your cursive was spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Ireland and if you ever wish to visit our beautiful rainy island, I will more than happily guide you :) btw I'm an 18 year old female who will be attending college in September also not some old sleazy leprechaun. My twitter is, wait for it, @UNUZOCLOTSIBURP . Anyway, tweet me if you're ever interested. I hope you enjoy my painfully Irish name.
    Caolfhionn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun to read about your adventures as I'm preparing to go off to college as well. Cool to see how much different our two lives (and blogs) are but also how similar we think about things! Big change is coming, have a marvelous time
    xoxo,
    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. (it seems my other comment didn't post, but sorry if this is a repost)

    Hi Savannah, this has almost nothing to do with you but- your update reminded be how much I loved the UK (I lived there when I was younger), so I did a little digging and it turns out I'm a UK citizen- as in, I can live there if I want! So thanks to you, I'll be moving there in a few years (if all goes well- I need to save some money up first :p).

    Thanks a bunch,
    Cory :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You explained word-for-word exactly how I felt about my visa process. Seriously, I'm laughing right now at how accurate all of this is. Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you! I think I might go abroad myself!

    ReplyDelete